CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Value of My Sunglasses (Here's a hint its not $300)

A couple of weeks ago our family had a fantastic trip to California. It was a very busy few days of Disneyland, the beach and Sea World. We had a great time and were reminded of how important family is and making family memories is.

On the day we went to the beach we had our fill of sun, sea and sand. We played hard and had an absolutely fabulous time. I had on my expensive sunglasses that I had gifted myself when I finished my Master's Degree. Throughout the day I would think to myself as I played in the water that I should put them away so as not to loose them.
Well, as we were winding the day down I went out to play in the surf one last time and was toppled by a powerful wave. The wave swept my shades off my face and out to sea. I was extremely discouraged and frustrated. I searched and searched the water in hopes of them washing ashore. I even went so far as to offer a rather trivial prayer about them. Essentially, here are the words I offerred up in my prayer, "Please help me find my glasses, I really don't need a lesson in the value of worldly things right now. Just help me find them."
Guess what! I got a pretty powerful lesson that put things in real perspective within moments of ushering that ridiculous request. The wave that swept my shades away was the last wave of the day for me. We were done with the beach and each of us was gathering to depart. As we gathered we noticed that Kate was missing. None of us knew where she was. It is nearly impossible to describe that experience. Kim thought she had drowned. I was certain she had been abducted. None of us knew what to think or where she was.
Each of us in our party walked up and down the beach. We involved the beach life guards. We walked for what seemed like miles, searching and searching with each moment becoming more and more frantic as time passed. Each of us prayed desperately for her safe return. In the end her Aunt Jen walked incredibly far down the beach and found her. Kate said she was just trying to find her Dad and she was certain he was in the direction she was heading.
In the end, I was taught a powerful lesson. The worth of souls is great, especially those of my family. My shades are worthless, they have no value compared to the precious moments I have with my family. Kate was safe in the end and I am so grateful to have her in my life. I am so grateful to have each of my children and my wife. They mean more to me than the air I breathe. I love them and value them more than anything. Cherish one another. Cherish your moments together. Be grateful for one another.

6 comments:

Tim & Nancy said...

I am sorry that you had this scary experience. Thank goodness Kate was found safe. We are glad you had a fun trip.

Kim said...

We love you too!

Kd Perkins said...

What a great reminder to us all to remember what really matters. Thanks for the post!

Nan said...

We are so glad Aunt Jenny found our Katie Bug. That must have been awful! I am glad you guys had a good trip otherwise, and make it back safe and sound.

And what a nice post to put it all in perspective. Good job, big brother.

Nan said...

That was made, not make, oops!

Chrislynn said...

Don't you sometimes wish you didn't have to have experiences like this to learn from? Thank goodness Kate was found, and tat you had a fun vacation otherwise. This was a great post. I love you and your family!