CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Richie's first day of pre-school

Yesterday little Richie went to pre-school for the first time. He was very excited, and so were we. He has wanted to go to school for a while now and almost couldn't contain himself yesterday when I reminded him that he was starting school.
He is going to a pre-school at Rutgers through the nutrition and food science department, so in addition to the teacher, there are several college student helpers, so the ratio of grown-ups to kids is pretty good. When he first got in the class room they put a smock on him to protect his clothes when they do their art projects and he got really grumpy. I asked him why he was making his angry face and he said, "I don't like painting, I just like coloring!" I tried to convince him that they weren't going to make him do anything that he didn't want to do, but he was still pouty when I left. There is an observation room where you can watch, so I went in there for the first 20 minutes or so. He was still looking upset until one of the college students (a girl) asked him about his Spiderman shoes, and he started to perk up. By the time I left he was snuggling up to the girl and looked like he was going to be fine. He had a lot of fun and is looking forward to going back. Sophia was super jealous, but she will just have to settle for hanging out with me while Richie is in school.

4 comments:

Tim & Nancy said...

He is so big he looks like he would fit into first grade. I bet it is nice to just have one kid to deal with for at least a few hours a day.

Worthy Glover Sr. or Gail Glover said...

Our children used to shove us toward the door and say, "Bye, Mom. Don't hurry back!" It broke my heart, because they grew up so well; they didn't need me anymore!

Kim said...

He's a well adjusted kid because he knows he's loved and he trusts that you'll come back.

Nan said...

All these little milestones are so fun. Thanks for sharing, Chrislynn. I bet he will have a great time cozying up to all the college girls/preschool teachers.