CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What do you post when you don't know what to post?

Hey y'all! Worthy here. I was reminded to post by my mother and my wife and I have been trying to come up with some coherent thought to share with everyone. I haven't really had much luck.

As you all know I have had a roller coaster ride in my career the last couple of years. It has been an interesting ride. The latest is that I finally feel like the leadership in my organization respect me and appreciate the results I generate. I was about to leave and they convinced me to stay. They didn't convince me to stay as much with money as they did by acknowledging missteps in the past and making me feel wanted. It was nice.

One of the best things that has come from this experience is that it has helped me focus outside myself and grow closer to my family. One lesson I will have to learn over and over again in life is that when things are going bad it is usually because I have gotten caught up in my own ego. If I want to make things better I need to focus my energy away from myself. I need to serve others, especially my family and things will get better.

Anyway, shortly after things seemed to have fallen apart on me I wrote a poem to try finding solace. My wife was the inspiration for the poem. She always believes in me and is such a pillar of strength. In contemplating what to write I came across this poem and decided I would share it with you all. I hope it isn't too sappy for you. If it is, get over it! I'm sharing it anyway. Enjoy!

In the Mud
By Worthy Glover, Jr.

In the mud,
That’s where she found me.
She pulled me up, wiped me off, looked me in the eye and told me to build.
So I built.

I built a stool.
I stood on it and reached higher.
She pulled me back, caressed my head, looked me in the eye and told me to build higher.
So I built.

I created a ladder.
I leaned it against the lofts and ascended its heights.
She climbed up, grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye, and told me it must support itself. Build it better.
So I built.

I erected a tower.
I climbed to the top, looked down and felt powerful.
She came to my side, enjoyed the view, looked me in the eye and told me it would fall, I was a God and could do so much more.
I didn’t listen.

I stood proud and noble.
The demons came and burned my tower to cinders.
I fell into the mud.
She knelt at my side, drew me up, looked me in the eye, and whispered in my ear you are powerful. Don’t stay down. Get yourself higher.
So I built.

I constructed wings.
I flew above the clouds. I was free.
She soared next to me.
She smiled at me, brushed my lips with hers, looked me in the eye, and said almost. Finish by lifting others.So I taught and we flew.

5 comments:

Kim said...

What's a girl to say to that? I love you.

Tim & Nancy said...

Good to hear from you. I didn't know you stayed with your old job. I hope that your employer really can respect you and treat you the way that you deserve. Don't worry I would never dare make fun of anyone's poetry, after all, I am a male nurse so I just leave myself open for ridicule.

Worthy Glover Sr. or Gail Glover said...

As a wife and mother, I am uplifted not only by your beautiful poetry, but also by your willingness to share it. It was courageous and inspiring. I am glad that things are finally working out for you.

Chrislynn said...

I think a poem inspired by your awesome wife is the perfect thing to post, when you don't know what to post. Thanks for sharing, and letting us know what is going on in your world. See you in a couple months!

Nan said...

I didn't know you were staying in your current position! How did I miss that? Well, congratulations on being appreciated. And thanks for sharing your poetry. You really are awesome!